Visitor’s Book

Thanks for dropping by, please leave me a message, I’d love to hear from you.

Natasha

20 Responses to “Visitor’s Book”

1. Ana Sievers says:

Acabo de terminar la lectura de su novela La viola. Me ha dejado un gusto diverso en el paladar compuesto de ternura, emoción y rabia.
    Soy descendiente de alemanes y también escritora.
    Quiero hacerle llegar mi felicitación por sus éxitos.
    Sinceramente.
    Y me atrevo a mandarle un beso.
    Ana

2. minda says:

loved the book BUT

please ask for copy editor for next edition.

Holidays are out of order AND halachically, the children are NOT mamzerim.

Shavua tov

3. eddy shutler says:

I have a diary written by lillian bond when she was 12 and living in tynham in 1899 and two of her diarys 1907 and 1908 plus a lot of photos and various photos.
    I live in Swanage where I believe you are doing a talk at the library I think on the 4th November unfortunately I wont be in Swanage that day but if you are interested in seeing the material pleas contact me

4. Joan Gross says:

I wrote to you after I read, and loved, Mr Rosenblum dreams in English. I also read it to my blind friend. Now I have just finished reading The Gallery of Vanished Husbands. It was really engrossing and unusual. My daughter is an artist so I was especially interested. All of the characters were really well-drawn. I have just one question: What was there about Juliette that made her the muse of so many artists? Was she particularly beautiful, or what was it?
    Sincerely,
    Joan Gross

5. S Robinson says:

Hi Natasha have just started reading a book it looks as though it’s going to be good BUT a German-speaking editor would’ve been most useful As there are some grating inaccuracies: Freida Should be spelled “Frieda”. The way you you have spelled it is pronounced Fr- eye -da. Also the German spelling of Elizabeth is with an “s” not a “z”. There are many more inaccuracies. May I recommend you read any of Patrick Leigh Fermor’s books for meticulous beautiful English. Wishing you good luck. Sieglinde Robinson

6. Margie says:

I just finished reading The House at Tyneford. I could not put it down! I truly loved the story and all the detail. I am a fan! Thank God for this wonderful talent that you possess.

7. Karin Møller Nielsen says:

Dear Natasha Solomons.

I found Your book “the novel in the viola” in our vacation apartment in Gran Canaria. It’s in Norwegian ( i’m Danish). Fortunately i know the norwegian language. I have’nt finishen it yet, but i love every page. It Will leave an empty space afterwards i’m sure. Just like it should be when you finish a very good novel.
    It is the first, but not the last of Your boks i read. Thank you.

Karin

8. Carol Brace says:

I am left quite stunned by your books, especially The Novel in the Viola. You write so beautifully, every sentence is a delight. I lent it to a friend who says she is reading it very slowly to savour every word and then going back to read it again. I have always wanted to write and recently sat down to make a start. Then I read your books and gave up! Thank you so much. Carol

9. Mary Beth says:

I’ve just plucked The House of Tyneford off the shelf at my local library. I was interested in the link to the music and found your site. Cannot wait to dive in!

10. Ann Baker says:

I have just finished Mr Rosenbloom’s List on the Tube and didn’t know whether to stand on a seat and punch the air, or sob. The sobbing won out. Thank you so much for writing such a humane book. Loved it. Ann Baker

11. Wendy Kelen says:

Dear Natasha,

I am thoroughly enjoying Mr. Rosenblum dreams in English. I received the electronic copy from my public library, and have bought a hardcopy to make sure I don’t miss out on any of it. I especially like the Jewish prayer for the dead on page 191. I will copy it down and when we sprinkle my mother’s ashes in a beautiful Canadian Shield park, I will recite it. I am not Jewish, but I am of Jewish ancestry. My grandfather converted when he arrived in Canada from Hungary in 1922.

12. David North says:

Exiled here in Cape Town, South Africa, I am reading and loving The Song Collector. Was it published in the past few days? If not, why isn’t every reviewer raving about it? It is beautifully written, and beautifully told.

I was alerted to it by a good review in The Times yesterday. I hope it’s the first of many.

Reading your first chapter got me wondering how many birds migrate all the way from South Africa to England. Is it just the swallows and the swifts?

13. Jon Watson says:

Stranded between trains at Dorking station I spotteda a charity bookshelf which appeared to have nothing of interest except “Mr Rosenblum’s List”.
    Curious, I picked up a copy and read the back cover where it announced; “Rule 2: Never speak German on the upper decks of London buses” and immediately grabbed the book and donated far more than was appropriate into the charity box.

My Great Grandfather came to the UK in the latter years of the 19th century from Frankfurt Oder. Here he met his wife at Schmitt’s Restaurant, reputed to have the rudest waiters in London, so rude, perhaps, as to put any self-respecting Parisian waiter to shame.

His name was Wilhelm Heinrich Meyer. His eldest they named William Henry.
    William Henry joined the cavalry and when the great War came his brother Albert joined up. The family lived, at that time, in Kensal Green the settling place of a great many German immigrants.
    At a time when Germans were busy anglicising their names – Battenberg to Windsor, for example – and the propaganda machine was busy depicting German soldiers bayoneting babies, they were home on leave and on the top deck of a London bus bound for Kensal Rise. Fortunately both were in uniform. they were sitting at the back.
    At the front was Mrs Hitzelberger, a Switzer Deutsch neighbour with a loud voice who, hearing their familiar voices turned round in her seat and in a voice designed to carry the length of the bus and be heard over the street noises called out: “Hello Villie, hello Albert.” and. excusing herself for speaking English to them, added “Vee must not speak Cherman, you know. Zey vould not like it.”

My Grandfather was much amused by this but Albert was most indignant and swore he would never again speak German. He never did and went so far as to tell his own children after the war that their’s was an Irish family, something they accepted till middle age despite the name Meyer not exactly being typically Irish.

And then there is Rule 5: “Don’t gesture with your hand when talking.”

In the late 1930’s my Grandparents made friends with an Austrian Jewish couple Elsa and Egon. He was a watch and clock maker. They spoke a very heavily accented English for the remainder of their lives.
    In the 1960s, visiting my Grandparents (always risky for us children because of Elsa’s fondness for pinching cheeks) Egon was seen to have his arm in a sling. Elsa hastily excused him saying somewhat unnecessarily “He has broken his arm.” and adding “He cannot talk, you know.”

We children filed away this strange bit of medical lore that a broken arm prevents you talking.

As I read the rest of this book I shall look out for more such resonant gems.

14. Elaine Stulberg says:

Just finished The Song Collector. A lovely jewel of a book. I read it slowly to savor it. Didn’t want it to end too quickly. Your very best yet. It really is a treasure. Thank you.

15. Elaine Strocher says:

Am in the midst of Mr. Rosenblum dreams and am enjoying it immensely! making me curious about Dorset! will have to check out your other books! thank you!

16. Pauline Thompson says:

I have just finished The Song Collector, and once again have been absolutely entranced by another of your magical books. Thank you so much, Natasha.

17. Marla McDonald says:

I first read The Song of Hartgrove Hall and loved the story so much that I read The House at Tyneford. Both stories leave me with that wonderful sense that I have gotten to know someone very well and will miss hearing from them. I wondered how old Mr. Rivers was at the end of The House at Tyneford and thought oh well, he doesn’t exist you know! I guess that must be the litmus test for a well written character; you forget they only live in someone’s mind.

18. Victoria Burke says:

Just finished your book THE SONG OF HARTGROVE HALL. It was hard to put it down. You seem young to know all these things. Research of course and compassion. And, yes I recognize that is ageist of me. And, now I want to read all your books. Thank you!

19. Fui Choo Yap says:

Once I’ve read The House at Tyneford I was hooked for life ! I had to read all your books!
    I thoroughly enjoyed Mr Rosenblum and my current favourite is The Song Collector.
    I have laughed, cried and felt through your characters… and a lil sad when I finish one of your books… because I want to continue to live through your characters.
    I have gifted my friends your books and they in turn took sheer delight in your tales.
    Thank you Natasha for sharing with the world such lovely prose.

20. Elizabeth Molnar says:

Dear Natasha,
    I appreciate all your books. The family of my late husband, Tibor, adopted the name ‘Molnar’ instead of ‘Malz’, a brewing town in Germany, after the war, when the government “encouraged” the use of Hungarian names rather than those which sounded Jewish, German, or Slavic, and as tribute to Ferenc Molnar, the social-realist playwright, while cousin Albert Maltz was ostracized in the US for his Marxism, despite being the screen-writer of ‘The Robe’ and ‘Broken Arrow’.
    I understand Albert later wrote ‘Two Mules for Sister Sarah’, and that his story contributed to the movie ‘Trumbo’.
    Faithfully, Beth Molnar.