‘The House at Tyneford’ is a bestseller!

Thanks so much to all the wonderful people at Plume (especially to Tara and Pam)! ‘The House at Tyneford’ has just debuted at no 29 on the NYT bestseller list. I’m so, so excited. It’s also at no 14 on the Indiebound list and at no 8 in the Boston Globe besteller list. It’s bedtime but I’m far too excited to sleep.

Here is a photo of a windswept Dorset seascape near Tyneham… no wonder I was inspired to write a novel set here.

Burt's Tyneford cottage

And here is a picture of the real-life Landau girls, taken in Berlin in the 1920s.

Gerda, Gabi, Margot

My grandmother Margot is the eldest.

20 Responses to “‘The House at Tyneford’ is a bestseller!”

1. Kate says:

Natasha that’s brilliant! Such fantastic news – I’m really thrilled for you 🙂

2. Natasha Solomons says:

Thanks Kate! I couldn’t be more excited.

3. Lea says:

I loved, loved, loved this book!

4. ellen miller says:

I am only 1/3 of the way through this book and I LOVE IT !!!
    Found it in a shop in the Denver airport yesterday and could hardly
    put it down. Wonderful. You are an artist with words and the ability
    to evoke memory the way you do is rare in literature. And I have read
    thousands of books in my 66 years.

5. ellen miller says:

Wonderful book. Hard to put down. Absolutely beautifuly written.
    It is amazing to read such a book from such a young author. The
    best novelests I’ve read were also poets.

6. Annie says:

VERY, VERY good book — I loved it! It was so hard to put down and I was sad that it had to end. You are such a talented author — I just bought another one of your books, Mr. Rosenblum Dreams in English. Can’t wait to start it!

7. Natasha Solomons says:

Annie, I’m so pleased that you enjoyed it… even if it made you sad! xx

8. Natasha Solomons says:

Hi Ellen, Thanks so much! I’m thrilled you enjoyed the book so much. xx

9. Edwina Sitko says:

How strong & powerful love and hate are! You have captured so much emotion in each character…so refreshing to read a novel with such beautiful descriptions…
    My heart was so sad for Elise when she heard of Kit’s death.. such loss and yet such bittersweet reflection comes from her thoughts. And then the devotion to Mr. Rivers..
    Please write a sequel about their lives together. Enjoyed every word!
    Well Done.. Well done

10. Sylvia Mitchell says:

I picked up your Tyneford book in Honolulu airport, having enjoyed the Downton Abbey series on television. I could not believe it when I started to read about my home area, which I sadly had to leave 18 years ago when my husband got a job in Canada. It brought back so many wonderful memories and my flght home was delightful, immersed in your story set in a past era in such a special part of the world. Your insight into the thoughts and emotions of Elise brought the character alive and I want to know more, so please be inspired to write a sequel.

11. Wendy Silveira says:

I have just finishing reading (aka listening to) your delightful book – I was utterly charmed by it on so many levels. The ultimate irony of Sadie being a natural golfer was the cherry on the top. I have chosen this book as my bookclub selection and am googling a baumtorte recipe (with quantities) to grace our table. Your book will stay with me for a very long time and as a voracious reader that says so much! Thank you.

12. Laura says:

Finished The House at Tyneford with a bookclub. Fantastic read! We’ve had many discussions and one topic in particular…Mr. Rivers. Some wanted to know if he fell in Love with Elise at first sight or was it Alice first. Some even that this was a marrigage of convenience. Any thoughts? We thouroughly enjoyed this book, some even said they cried. It was a sad book but a satisfying ending for the most part. Many didn’t know that this is based on a real place in England – Tyneham. Of course we all want to visit this place now. Great job and well done.

13. Anonymous says:

Natasha, Sie sind eine fantastische Autorin – ich freue mich schon auf Ihr nächstes Buch. Beide waren in einer einzigartigen farbigen blumigen Sprache! Kompliment!Vielen Dank.

14. Sharron Burgess says:

I savored this beautifully written treasure. You had me in a mesmerized state while I was in your book. Thank you for this gift. It will remain one of my favorites.

15. Michael Dodd says:

My wife and i thought this a great story beautifully told. We have visited the Tyneham valley since childhood( 60 odd years ago!) and have always been fascinated by the history and ambience of the whole area. Although we can of course still visit it is a sad place and particularly the House site but it is good that we can still walk down to Arish Mell, which my parents used to visit pre-war, even if the beach is out of bounds

Did you have a particular reason for setting the story in the Tyneham valley? We do hope a sequel is on the cards?

16. Erin says:

I just finished The House at Tyneford. My Grandmother was a 2nd Generation San Franciscan and I often wonder at portions of the family in Europe that may have perished at the hands of Hitler. I appreciated that Anna did not die in a camp, heartbreaking just the same. Thanks for an enthralling story and your ability to articulate grief, as I find that rare. I lost my first husband at a young age and it never leaves.

17. Adam Shaw says:

Congrats !
    My father knew that list well. Oh, how he’d have cheered your mightily-deserved success.

18. Elisa says:

Just finished the book and really loved it. I feel like I know the characters and miss them already. I would love to hear the “Concerto in D Minor” from the end of the book. Has it been recorded somewhere? (Sadly, I am not musically talented.)

19. Carol says:

I just finished the House at Tyneford and loved it. I couldn’t put it down either even though my daughter and granddaughter have come to visit. I give my favorite book that I have read throughout the year to a couple of friends for Christmas gifts, and this one will definitely be my choice this year!

20. Miriam says:

Dear Natasha,
    My name is Miriam and i am 23 years old, from afula, Israel. I am writing to you after I read your book ‘NOVEL IN THE VIOLA’ ,that was wonderful to me. You are so talented. In Hebrew the book was given the name ‘???? ?????? ????????’ which Means love in Tyneford Mansion. Because of the name I thought it was another light novel to pass the time with,but I was wrong. In the first few pages I fell in love with the Characters and setting, and I literally got sucked into the story, unable to break away from. Eliza’s story touched my heart ,and I could identify with many of the characteristics of her. I felt like I really like her. I cried with her and laughed, I missed Distant reality and secretly dreamed of blond curls brushed against my cheek. The end was definitely not expected and continues to bother me even now. Thinking about the circumstances that led Eliza ,or Alice, into the arms of Kit’s father gave me inner conflicts, and yet I felt for her. That’s me, when I read a book I like I really enters into it and feel like I’m part of it. Recently I enrolled in film studies, What brought me to imagine how I turn the book into a movie and wakes him up for life. I can really see it happening…and Who knows, Maybe one day it will happen.. and I’ll play Eliza. It’s Allowed to dream is not it? And sometimes dreams even come true! Thank you for an amazing experience.
    Sincerely yours,