The House at Tyneford

The US version of ‘The Novel in the Viola’ is now published by Plume and is currently at no 17 on the Indiebound bestseller chart! Hurray. I love, love this cover.

14 Responses to “The House at Tyneford”

1. Marcia says:

Loved the cover also for House at Tyneford that is why I picked up the book.
    Plan to use this book for our March book club!

2. bj says:

I remember reading somewhere that I could listen to the concerto in D minor but I can’t find it.
    bj

3. Sharlene says:

The book was hauntingly beautiful and made me remember the many sacrifices made by so many during this time period.

4. dm says:

why was the title changed?

5. Patsy says:

I am curious about the previous question. Why was the title changed for the US? From my point of view, The House at Tyneford and the cover for it are more intriguing than the UK version. I loved the book, and I cried and cried. I was disappointed, though, because I haven’t been able to listen to Jan Tibor’s composition. Is there a way to do so? Thank you for your time–and for the book!

6. giovanna zampini says:

Dear Mr Solomons,
    I have just finished to read your book, unfortunately in Italian. I liked the story very much. Unfortunately a very bad translation into Italian. I don’t know if you can do something about it, because some parts are so bad that they spoil the story.
    I hope to have the opportunity to find an English copy end enjoy your original work.
    Thanks and congratulations!
    Giovanna

7. Nancy says:

It seems that as one’s life comes to a close, things are more defined and less defined. One can appreciate the uniqueness of two cooks and imagine them working together. Two men can be loved entirely and monogamously in one long romance.

8. Christina says:

A wonderful story. thank you for this book.

I can’t find the music – Concerto in D Minor!?
    with kind regards
    Christina from Husum-Germany, naer danmark

9. Sue Ames says:

I loved this book. I couldn’t put it down after the first paragraph. You made the story come alive. I have been in this area many years ago and no want to go back. Can’t wait for your next book.

10. Nancy B says:

I have not shed tears over a book in years but “The House at Tyneford” touched me deeply. And, I appreciated knowing that a real village, and real family members were the catalyst for the story. I would love to hear the Canon in D that was performed by Neel Hammond. Where might I hear it? Thanks for a wonderful read.

11. Gabrielle Streater says:

Dear Natasha,
    I finished reading ‘The Novel in the Viola’ (‘The House at Tyneford’) tonight while lying on my bed next to an open window, listening to the cool, wild sea wind blowing and pounding through my window from the beach below.
    I smiled and cried, and cried and smiled for hours, not noticing that afternoon had rolled into night.
    I am so grateful to you for the treasure of this story. I feel so enriched by the opportunity of having existed in Tyneham’s unique world for just a short while.
    Moreover, I really felt deep sorrow for Elise, and all the people she represented in her profound grief and loss during that horrible war.
    My heart forever breaks for the treatment of the Jewish people, and through this book I gained a deeper understanding and appreciation of their hurt, and their fears and struggles during times such as then.
    I truly hope that you will continue to write more and more. I dearly loved Mr Rosenblum and I’ve now fallen in love with Elise, Kit, and everyone in Tyneford.
    Thank you so much, and I look forward to more of your beautiful words…

12. Jeanne says:

I too haven’t cried over a novel in a long, long time. Perhaps I am so engrossed because people in my own family and my new best friend are war veterans with horrid memories that haunt them–perhaps because I am at a time in my life where significant changes are happening and coming, perhaps because certain passages are so beautifully written that it takes my breath away.
    I am a music teacher–when the score for the peice appeared in the pages I had to go play it (how did you know to make the different clef? You must be a violist yourself). It is a beautfiul, moaning mourning melody–perfectly painting a photo of the lives and characters it is meant to honor. I tried to find a Jan Tibor on-line. Who is he meant to depict? I’m sure there must be a number of escaped, survived conductors who could be he.
    Thank you for a lovely story about a horrid time, and thanks for showing that survival need not be suffering. I shall remember that as I navigate my own life.

13. Lonny says:

Greetings! Very useful advice in this particular post!
    It is the little changes that produce the biggest changes.
    Thanks a loot for sharing!

14. Julie Sandberg says:

I just finished the House at Tyneford and need to hear the music. Please can you tell me where it is or provide me a direct link?

It was beautiful. Truly beautiful. I’m 46 and had to finish it on vacation with my phone flashlight under the covers because I couldn’t wait for morning. Thank you for stirring my soul.